On Monday, covidecolesquebec.org listed 101 schools where at least one case of COVID-19 had been declared since the start of the school year.
The data contradicts the list released by the Education Ministry last week, which shows only 45 schools affected out of more than 3,100.
“The second they pulled the list out, I had 25 [schools] that were confirmed on my side, but not theirs. And since that time, there are plenty of others who have been added, ”said Olivier Drouin, the Montrealer behind this volunteer initiative.
Why this gap?
The father of the family has trouble explaining this gap, especially since institutions affected by a case of COVID-19 are required to notify all parents and school staff, as required by the protocol.
He was able to confirm the authenticity of each of the 101 cases thanks to official letters sent to him by relatives or to newspaper articles.
“From the moment a letter is issued, there is no reason that it should not be public,” he said.
The Department of Health and Social Services specifies for its part that its list is based on disclosures made by school officials.
Fill a gap
Originally, the site Olivier Drouin created was to be used to paint a picture of the situation in schools in the absence of an official list.
However, the publication of the government list on Friday leaves him unsatisfied.
Not only is it incomplete and behind the times, he said, but two schools that do not deplore any cases were mentioned in error.
As a second wave dawns, the father would like more transparency and clarity in government data, including the number of cases in each school.
“People need to know what’s going on. It’s the unknown that creates fear, not seeing the name of a school on a website. “
However, the Ministry of Health and Social Services refuses to disclose more precise figures for reasons of confidentiality, says its spokesperson.